Preparing For Your Session: DIY Honey + Sugar Scrub
* in my Clear Eyes commercial voice * For dry skin, cracked skin, damaged skin... LOL! Here's a tip that's perfect for the night before or a few days before our photo session together.
It's no secret that we all are terrified of the unavoidable onset of pimples, or even worse, a breakout! It's embarrassing and they tend to occur right before big events -- a date, presentation, interview, prom, OR right before a photo session! Hate is such a strong word but I can only speak for myself (and I'm sure countless others) when I say that I HATE when it happens to me!
I've tried toothpaste, lemon juice -- all the common and FAILED spot treatments to get rid of pimples -- NOTHING works. That always leads me to attempting to pop them (which damages your skin and leaves behind permanent battle wounds... popping them are definitely worse than letting them run their course).
There are tons of reasons that we experience breakouts and tons of ways to prevent them. However, the most effective prevention is to keep your skin healthy and fresh. Months ago I came across a recipe for a DIY Sugar & Olive Oil Face Scrub. As with anything, I was a bit hesitant at first until I read through the comments from people who have tried and left positive feedback, so I decided to give it a try myself.
Best decision I've made in my life...
Ok. I'm exaggerating, but really it works. It leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and most importantly CLEAR. I have been using this system for 7 months now and it's worked so well. I have had a few pimples, I'd use the scrub when they appear and the next day they are gone or not as noticeable.
DIY Sugar Honey + Olive Oil Scrub
All you need are 3 common kitchen ingredients:
1/2 Cup of Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Honey
3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
+ of course a utensil for stirring and a clean container in which to store your scrub (you're going to want to use it over and over and over again...)
Pour Olive Oil into Container
Stir in Honey
Add in Sugar
Stir Well (best to use chopsticks or a stirring stick... I had neither, so I used a fork... I probably should have used a spoon. Oh well. Lol.)
- Do NOT store in the fridge (the mixture will harden, making it hard to use)
- As you can see, I used a lot more of the ingredients bc I wanted a larger amount. Therefore, the measurements don't have to be exact. (Honestly, I don't measure anything.)
- You won't be a sticky fly and bee magnet afterwards.
- Honey is a natural moisturizer. It protects the skin from damage and promotes wound healing (so if you have those battle wounds that I mentioned earlier in this post, the honey will help heal those).
- Olive oil can shield your skin from harmful UV rays and protect you from Skin Cancer, it soothes chapped lips and gets rid of those wrinkles from aging.
- Sugar is a natural exfoliant. It removes dead skin and promotes skin health.
- It's OK TO EAT THIS FACE SCRUB.
- Wash your face (removing all surface dirt and makeup if you use it).
- Scoop a tiny amount into the palm of your hand and apply to the entire face.
- Gently scrub in a broad circular motion (AVOIDING THE EYES.)
- After about 1-2 minutes rinse your face (leaving a thin layer of the oil on).
- Pat dry.
- Optional: At this point you can apply a facial moisturizer. I typically don't (my skin usually feels well moisturized afterwards.)
This scrub is 100% natural and leaves your skin looking healthy and feeling like satin. Do use this system every night. Too much of anything is bad for your skin, only use this about 2-3 times a week -- or the night before your session with me! It really works.
THIS IS GREAT FOR ANY PART OF YOUR BODY!
Try it out, come back and let me know how it works for you. Also, if you use any other DIY skin care remedies, share them in the comments section below.